Philippines Eyes Online Gambling Ban Amid Regulatory Push
PAGCOR has vowed to enforce any new laws as senators proposed stricter rules and even a full ban on online gambling to curb harm to Filipinos At the end of June, we reported on the intention of House of Representatives member Jonathan Keith Flores to outlaw e-wallets for online gambling companies operating under licenses from the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation(PAGCOR), as a way of encouraging players to limit their betting and gambling spending. On Friday, Senator Sherwin Gatchalian put forward a separate measure that would impose stricter controls, including banning e-wallets for betting and requiring a minimum PHP10,000 ($177) cash-in for gamblers. On the same day, PAGCOR reaffirmed its commitment to cracking down on illegal online gambling, saying it would fully follow any new laws passed by Congress, while underscoring its ongoing work to regulate the industry and protect the public. “It is the prerogative of our lawmakers to propose laws which they think will be beneficial to the public,” PAGCOR said. “PAGCOR is duty-bound to follow any and all relevant regulations once they are passed by Congress and signed into law by the President.” The comments follow another major proposal introduced in the Senate that could significantly reshape online gambling in the Philippines. Senate President Juan Miguel Zubiri filed the Anti-Online Gambling Act of 2025, which seeks a full ban on digital gambling, which the official called a “silent epidemic”hurting Filipino families. Zubiri also drew a strong comparison between the rapid growth of remote betting and the controversial POGO industry. Under his fresh proposal, all licensed online betting platforms, alongside mobile apps and websites that enable users to place bets remotely, would be shut down. The bill also calls for stiff penalties against violators, including internet service providers and payment platforms that facilitate the activity. “We already shut the doors on POGOs for the damage they caused,” he said. “But an even more dangerous problem has crept into our homes: online gambling that targets our own people.” Meanwhile, the Department of Finance is reportedly weighing a new tax policy for the online gaming sector alongside tighter rules on who can access these platforms. PAGCOR assured the public it will continue its regulatory work regardless of the legislative debate. “Rest assured that PAGCOR remains fully committed to intensifying its efforts in the ongoing battle against the proliferation of illegal online gaming activities, together with like-minded agencies and organisations and with the support of all gaming industry sngakeholders,” the regulator said. To help players distinguish legitimate operators from illegal ones, the government-owned corporation last month launched the PAGCOR Guarantee website, a portal where the public can verify if an online platform is properly licensed. The news of proposed legislation and possible tax changes rattled the local stock market on Friday. Shares of DigiPlus Interactive Corp., which operates bingo halls and a digital sportsbook, saw sharp swings. The company downplayed investor fears, attributing the share price movement to “market speculation following the filing of the Online Gambling Regulatory bill and Online Gambling Prohibition bills” filed at the Senate and House of Representatives since June 30.


PAGCOR to Follow “Any and All Relevant Regulations”

Full Ban on Online Gambling, Proposed
“PAGCOR Remains Fully Committed”
Effects on the Stock Market
Artikel terkait
-
Modo Casino Partners with Spire Motorsports, Sponsors Hocevar’s No. 77 Team
-
Blake Brinklow Sentenced to 5 Years After Stealing $700K from Sick Parents
-
MGM China Calls Ms. Pansy Video “Entirely Fraudulent”
-
Blake Brinklow Sentenced to 5 Years After Stealing $700K from Sick Parents
-
PSG vs. Tottenham 2025 UEFA Super Cup Odds, Time, and Prediction
-
Kick Reverses Adin Ross Ban After $50M Rainbet Deal Rumored